Common Mistakes When Planning A Kitchen Remodel
One of the best ways to spruce up a home is a kitchen remodel. You spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so why not make it just the way you like it. You have many options when you remodel your kitchen and the first step is the planning and designing of your new kitchen. This is a critical part of the kitchen remodel, because this is where you create the layout and design of the kitchen to fit the needs of you and your family.
Rendon Remodeling & Design, LLC has over 25 years experience with kitchen remodeling and we understand how important it is to avoid these common mistakes when planning your kitchen remodel.
I would like to give you a brief overview of some of these common mistakes:
* Be sure that your kitchen remodel fits the rest of your home. Typically the cabinets used in a castle do not fit your typical suburban home. I’m sure you understand what I’m getting at! Designing a beautiful kitchen that fits the style of your home will definitely enhance the look of your house.
* Selecting the right cabinet for you is very important. Not only should you look at the style/finish of the cabinet, but you need to make sure the cabinet you select is a strong, well constructed cabinet. The cabinet could look great on the outside, but it would be no good if the doors start falling off in five years. Another thing to consider when selecting your cabinet is to select a cabinet that contains low or no V.O.C and formaldehyde chemicals. These chemicals are used in many cabinets and are very detrimental as they offgas these chemicals over the years.
* Remember to design your kitchen with enough storage for all of your kitchen accessories (plates, pots, etc.). Remodeling a kitchen is a great time to add those handy organization accessories you always wanted in the cabinets. I’m sure a lazy susan and pull out trays in the base cabinets would be a great addition to your kitchen. Drawer organizers, pantry organizers, cutting board, tray dividers, plate racks, etc. You have so many options today it’s unbelievable. One of the best options to get for you new cabinets is the soft close doors. The soft close doors close on their own nice and soft without banging the cabinet. This is a great addition and improves the longevity of your cabinets. They also work great with young children (because we all know young children like to slam doors for some reason).
* I would not recommend too bizarre of a cabinet color unless you plan on living in your home for the rest of your life. You may like orange cabinets, but if you are planning on moving in the future; you may want to think about resale.
* Always make sure that you are working with a kitchen remodeling professional that is licensed and insured, such as Rendon Remodeling & Design, LLC. Over the years, we have seen the headaches that homeowners have gone through when working with an unlicensed contractor. Then we get called to fix other people’s mess. That’s always fun!
* Lighting is extremely important when planning your kitchen remodel. It will keep your kitchen safe and brighten the kitchen while performing certain tasks. The best and most cost effective lighting, is the natural light from the sun. Adding windows, enlarging windows, or even skylights are great options for bringing in natural light if it fits into your design. Unfortunately, the sun is not always out, so you must plan for electrical lighting. Task lighting is very important in a kitchen, such as over the sink area, or even under cabinet lighting.
* Remodeling a kitchen is a great time to create a kitchen layout that fits your needs. Why not change the layout to benefit you. Maybe you have always wanted that nice island or that peninsula with bar seating. This is a great time to open up the kitchen and make it more comfortable and cozy for you and your family.
* Be smart when you are demolishing the old kitchen. The cabinets, appliances, fixtures, etc. may be donateable. This is a great time to conserve the environment and donate certain products. So don’t go crazy with a sledge hammer and demolish everything in the kitchen without planning on what could be reused. One person’s trash, could be another person’s treasure.
* Don’t go crazy with your appliances. Make sure the appliances you purchase fit your families needs. Some professional appliances may pack more power than you actually need. Energy Star appliances are always recommended.
Planning is very important to a kitchen remodel. Without proper planning, a kitchen remodel can be a nightmare. That’s why it pays to work with a professional remodeling company like Rendon Remodeling & Design, LLC when planning your kitchen remodel. We can help plan and design your kitchen to fit you and your families needs and make sure that your kitchen remodel is a total success.
If you interested in a kitchen remodeling project and live in the Northern Virginia area, please fill out this form to talk to a kitchen remodeling professional!
Rendon Remodeling & Design, LLC
“Making Your Remodeling Dreams A Reality”