Spring Home Maintenance Tips
The cold weather has slowly gone away. Spring is now here and the sun is coming out, at least when it’s not raining. So it’s time to get out and get your home ready for the Spring. Here are some home maintenance tips to get your home ready for the Spring:
- Inspect the exterior trim for deterioration. Exterior wood trim can rot over time and create a habitat for insects. Be sure to repair or replace to prevent further damage.
- Inspect roof from the ground to ensure it was not damaged during the winter. Missing shingles or water leaks are a sign that you may have to budget for a new roof if you roof is older.
- Check gutters and downspouts to ensure they are attached and working properly. Be sure gutters and downspouts are clear of debris and the downspouts drain water away from the house.
- Turn the water on to the outside faucets and inspect for freeze damage and make sure they work correctly.
- Have a licensed heating and cooling contractor service and clean the outside air conditioning unit and be sure it is working correctly. Make sure the interior filter is replaced.
- Inspect and clean the clothes dryer and stove hood vent.
- Trim branches and shrubs that may touch your home to prevent easy access for water and bugs into your home.
- Inspect caulking around windows, doors, and other penetrations to the house. Seal and caulk where necessary to keep moisture and insects out of the home.
- Ensure the grading around your house drains away from the house to prevent the possibility of major water damage in your basement.
- Termites tend to colonize in the Spring. It is a great time for a termite inspection from a termite control professional. Environmental Termite & Pest Control Services, LLC in northern Virginia can take care of your termite and pest control needs.
- Check to make sure lawn sprinkler heads are working correctly and do not spray directly on the house.
If you have any questions or need any assistance, Rendon Remodeling & Design can help! Just call us at (703)444-3127 or contact us online.